Service of Process of Initiating Papers

Papers used to start an action or special proceeding are known as initiating papers. The following are examples of initiating papers:

  • Summons with Notice (Civil Action)
  • Summons with Complaint (Civil Action) – Petition (Special Proceeding)

Every case filed in Court receives its own identifying case number, known as an Index Number. A case is started only after obtaining the Index Number and paying the appropriate fee to the Clerks office. Copies of the initiating papers must state the Index Number and the date the initiating papers were filed in the County Clerk’s Office. These copies must be served on the defendant(s) or respondent(s) in the manner required by the CPLR. In a civil action, the summons with notice or summons and complaint must be served. In a special proceeding, the petition must be served along with either a notice of petition or an order to show cause, which fix a return date for the petition.

For more information on Service of Process visit or call 1.800.774.6922 for a free quote.  Open Monday-Friday 8am.-8pm.  “When you want it done right the first time” contact #ServiceofProcess

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 2.41.59 PM

Like us on Facebook to get exclusive deals.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s