(1) Residency: Before a New York Court can give you a divorce, you need to show that you and/or your spouse have lived in New York State for a certain amount of time, without interruption, generally for one year.
(2) Grounds: You need to have grounds – a legally acceptable reason – to get divorced in New York. That means that you need to prove one of the grounds listed below:
- Cruel and Inhuman treatment
- Confinement in prison for 3 or more consecutive years
- Living separate and apart pursuant to a separation judgment or decree
- Living separate and apart pursuant to a separation agreement
- Irretrievable breakdown in the relationship for a period of at least 6 months (for divorce proceedings started on/after October 12, 2010)
For more information serving legal papers visit www.undisputedlegal.com or call 1.800.774.6922 for a free quote. Open Monday-Friday 8am.-8pm. “When you want it done right the first time” contact undisputedlegal.com. #Divorce #Divocelegalreuirements
Like us on Facebook to get exclusive deals.