Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 12.17.46 PMAnyone 18 years of age or over can sue in Small Claims Court. If you are younger than 18, your parent or guardian may sue on your behalf. Generally, corporations, partnerships, associations, or assignees cannot sue in Small Claims Court. They can, however, be sued in Small Claims Court. A corporation may authorize an attorney, officer, director, or employee of the corporation to appear on its behalf to defend an action.  The party who brings the suit in Small Claims Court is referred to as the “Claimant” or the “Plaintiff”. The party that is being sued is referred to as the “Defendant”.  If you are sued and you believe that someone else (a third party) is responsible for the claim, you may be able to bring that party into the lawsuit as a defendant. Contact the Small Claims Court for information about starting a “Third Party Action”.

Most Small Claims Courts have a clerk who can assist you with the procedures for bringing your lawsuit. In those town or village courts that do not have clerks, the judge may assist you.

Because the small claims procedures are informal, you do not need an attorney to represent you. You may, however, choose to hire an attorney to represent you. If there are attorneys on both sides, the case may be transferred to a regular civil part of the court.

For more information serving legal papers visit www.undisputedlegal.com or call 1.800.774.6922 for a free quote.  Open Monday-Friday 8am.-8pm.  “When you want it done right the first time” contact undisputedlegal.com #SmallClaimsCourt

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 2.41.59 PM

Like us on Facebook to get exclusive deals.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s